- Telephone 0131 556 9696
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8am–8pm; Sun 9am–6pm (shop).
- Seasonal times Edinburgh Festival till 1am (last orders 11pm)
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–7pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.earthy.uk.com
Cool café-bistro with a strong ethical approach to sourcing.
Tightly packed with all manner of local and seasonal goodies, Earthy’s store at Cannonmills extends beyond the freshly baked bread and organic wines to reveal a rustic bistro. Reclaimed woods, Edison lightbulbs and mismatched chairs ensure all ‘hip’ boxes are ticked. Locals enjoy coffee and pastries while watching the world go by; lunch sees things heat up as nearby office workers parade through the store to forage for salads and sandwiches and, as lightbulbs dim, Fairtrade wine corks pop. The tight all-day menu features several dishes ideal for sharing. Sweet potato fritters with feta are sweet carby goodness with flashes of salty cheese, complemented by a creamy yoghurt sauce. Spiced chickpea burger with halloumi and chipotle mayo is hearty and comforting and comes with extremely moreish hand-cut chips. Service can sometimes wander a little, but this spot on Canonmills Bridge continues to prove a popular draw.
- High point: Local and seasonal ingredients in a cool setting
- Low point: Service can feel overly casual at times
- Notable dish: Spiced chickpea burger with halloumi and chipotle mayo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Blues
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: May 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh restaurants Earthy Canonmills and The Gardener's Cottage excel in ethically sourced food12 Aug 2012
Both Earthy Canonmills and The Gardener’s Cottage share a resolute focus on finding the best seasonal and local ingredients and then treating them as lightly as possible, along the way blazing a path for produce-led, accessible cooking. Is this the…