- Telephone 0131 221 1222
- Opening times Thu 5–9pm; Fri & Sat noon–9pm; Sun noon–6pm; closed Mon–Wed.
- Bar open Tue–Sat noon–4pm, 5.50pm–1am. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 5.30–9.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 5.30–6pm.
- Pre-theatre price À la carte, as per lunch above
- Website www.timberyard.co
- Reduced table & guest numbers
- Hand sanitiser stations
- Regular and thorough cleaning
- QR wine list & drink list
- Single use menus
- Guests to pour their own wine & water
- No cloakroom rather coat pegs at tables
- Cash free
Atmosphere, intimacy and gastronomic excellence, perfect for a sophisticated date or dinner with foodie friends.
The double-height dining area of this old timber warehouse features exposed concrete beams, whitewashed stone walls and, unsurprisingly, plenty of bare wood, yet manages to retain an air of cosy comfort. Like the space, the food here is filled with understated character and interest. Scottish scallops, rabbit, pigeon and pork belly are partnered with foraged ingredients such as sea buckthorn, scurvy grass and sorrel to produce mouthwatering, multi-course tasting menus that can be adapted for all diets and diners. Ingredients are sourced from local producers and butchered, preserved, fermented and smoked in-house, then supplemented with herbs and flowers grown in the courtyard, which is also a dining space in summer. Menus can be wine-matched from an extensive list of natural wines and other drinks devised and produced in-house. Timberyard is owned by Edinburgh’s near-legendary Radford family but boldly wears the stamp of its younger generation, with knowledgeable waiting staff exhibiting considerable commitment to maintaining the achingly cool feel of this place. It’s daringly different and delicious dining.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Ambient, abstract background music
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £25 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best Scottish restaurants in Edinburgh22 May 2019
The city's top Scottish restaurants prove there's much more to local food than haggis and whisky
Dynamic. Creative. Resourceful. Pleasurable. Scottish dining displays the joys and range of Scotland's plentiful larder, with a distinctive identity and attention to detail. Whether you're exploring the city's collection of Michelin stars or just…
Best set lunch menus in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Places to head for a cheap lunchtime meal
In a good restaurant, there's nothing more satisfying than eating off a set menu that's the same standard as the a la carte, but saves you some buck. Here's a bunch of places with good lunchtime deals in Edinburgh.
Andrew and Lisa Radford's new venture Timberyard showcases their singular vision18 Sep 2012
Discovered by Andrew and Lisa Radford after they’d drawn breath from the closure of Atrium and Blue in early 2011, the old Lawson’s timber store near the art college has been coaxed from dusty obscurity in the past few months. An intriguing warehouse…