One of three Artisan Roast cafés in Edinburgh, the Bruntsfield branch is a cheerful and busy gourmet coffee stop.
As its name implies, Artisan Roast is seriously all about coffee. Hessian sacks proudly hanging on the walls tell that beans come from Guatemala, Indonesia and Brazil, but the craft roasting is done in the heart of Edinburgh. Such is the reverence for connoisseur quality coffee that food seems sidelined by the prominence given to the mighty bean. Organic soup, made by bean roaster Piotr, is always vegetarian and served with soft sourdough bread that has just the right crispness to its crust. Lightly curry-spiced lentil and spinach is just one example from his repertoire – just watch out for the whole cardamoms. Meltingly flaky pain au raisin are huge, with coconut and blueberry or apple and almond cakes strong competitors for something sweeter to soak up the brew. Also at Broughton Street and Stockbridge.
- High point: Beans for sale so you can relive the coffee buzz at home
- Low point: Cakes disappear very fast
- Notable dish: Spiced lentil and spinach soup
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Live entertainment: Occasional acoustic music performances, more on at Broughton Street
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2011