The Cellar Restaurant at Ryan's
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 226 6669
- Opening times Tue–Sun 5–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri 10–1am; Sat 9am–1am; Sun 9am – midnight
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun 5–11pm. Closed Mon
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Wed 5–10pm; Thu–Sun 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.ryansbar.com
Beneath the busy Ryan’s bar is this spacious cellar restaurant with mural-covered walls and hidden alcoves. The atmosphere is much quieter, the mood mellower than upstairs. The menu’s focus is big hearty portions of surf and turf, with plenty of giant chips. The cooking is simple but done well: the poached egg that sits atop a piece of Stornoway black pudding has a rich runny yolk, and there’s no hint of vinegar or poaching water. Steaks are supplied by a craft butcher using 21-days matured Borders beef and are skillfully seared on the outside and pink and tender inside. Of the fish options seabass and lemon sole are perched on a mountain of crushed potatoes with some rather unseasonal asparagus. Of the puddings pride of place goes to the rich, dense, chocolate and orange torte that was sampled by Gregg Wallace of Master Chef fame on a recent visit. The Cellar is a likeable, easy going place with piano music and monthly jazz sessions.
- Private dining: 35 in alcove
- Provides: Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed soul classics
- Live entertainment: Pianist on Fri/Sat, Jazz on Sunday from 5.30pm.
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 105
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle