- Telephone 0131 229 0267
- Opening times Mon–Sat 7.30am–6pm; Sun 7.30am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 7.30am–6pm.
- Average price £7.20 (set lunch)
This bite-size café is a genuine taste of France and the perfect stop-off for a morning coffee and croissants.
This bite-size café is a genuine taste of France and the perfect stop-off for morning coffee and croissants. Picturesque patisserie are baked by pastry chef Vincent Alpincourt at La Barantine’s sister café in Victoria Street while his wife oversees business in Bruntsfield. An array of éclairs, tarts and macarons are pleasingly elegant and formal though the atmosphere remains relaxed and friendly. Brunch here is evidently popular, with morning papers out and a pile of pastries waiting at the counter. Lunch too is good value for money. The menu of standard café fare, such as sandwiches and quiches, is enlivened with continental flavours and creative touches. A tartine with sourdough bread, avocado, tomatoes and Bayonne ham is an inspired combination. Brews from jasmine to second-flush darjeeling are served with a timer (for optimum taste) and an indulgent hot chocolate is infused with orange blossom tea.
- High point: Pretending to be in Paris while eating a beautful eclair
- Low point: Not much room between tables
- Notable dish: French patisserie
- Delivery: They will deliver by negotiation to offices or individuals depending on order size
- Provides: Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 18 (5 outside)
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2011
- BYOB: No corkage - BYOB has been operated so rarely that Vincent has not established one corkage (They only did BYOB on one event which was a Hen do - but are open to it if customers would like to drink with their meal)