- Telephone 0131 556 1289
- Seasonal times Possible plans to open for lunches during festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 5pm–3am (Beer & Skittles)
- Food served Sun–Wed 5–9.45pm; Thu–Sat 5–10.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.45pm
- Average price £37 (lunch); £37 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.50 (3 courses £21.50)
- Website www.steakedinburgh.com
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Despite a smart but unassuming exterior, Steak, situated centrally near The Playhouse, has a truly impressive cavernous interior design. High ceilings with suspended wooden beams on thick twisted ropes and candles dotted throughout create a low-lit, sophisticated atmosphere, while a green banker lamp adorns each table building a warm glow across the large room. Soul music plays softly in the background as a team of friendly staff offer a highly professional service. To start, the ham hock terrine with poached egg and brioche soldiers is tender with well-balanced flavours, while the platter of cured and smoked salmon is both visually pleasing and succulent. But where this place really packs a punch is with its glorious steak. Cuts of beef, selected and hand cut by Donald Russell and matured for 21-35 days, are this restaurant's gem with sirloin, fillet and ribeye on offer - juicy and full of flavour. To finish, desserts offer a sweet and delicate contrast to the thick steaks, with the lemon tart being a particular highlight, full of zing and tang. Delicious.
- High point: The sublime Donald Russell steak
- Low point: Take a deep breath when they hand you the bill
- Notable dish: Donald Russell fillet steak with mixed peppercorn sauce
- Private dining: Middle section can be booked for 10 people (not a separate room but an area which is divided off from the rest of the restaurant area)
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul/motown
- Live entertainment: Occasionally DJ Friday and Saturday (in Skittles bar downstairs)
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Louis Jadot Wine Pairing Dinner
A chance to try four delicious courses from Steak with a number of carefully selected Louis Jadot wines to complement each dish.
Wed 2 Nov
Times to be confirmed / £60 / 0131 556 1289