Cathedral House Hotel
- Telephone 0141 552 3519
- Bar open Mon–Fri 10am–11pm; Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 10.30–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–9pm
- Average price £8.50 (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price 3 courses for £15
- Website cathedralhousehotel.org
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Part of the adjoining hotel and one of few options in the area, by day the freshly made cakes on the bar disappear slice by slice with tea and coffee. The dark wood interior is well suited to Scottish evenings, with an equally fitting menu that is an uncomplicated affair. Chicken Milanese with hearty hand-cut chips and a delicately smoked haddock with mash potato aren’t haute cuisine but no worse for it when good solid bar food is called for. Pick of the starters is the haggis, neeps and tatties combination presented in a small stack. Tucked in behind two major tourist attractions it thankfully retains its character as a local bar with some above-average choices on the wine list. Families visiting the cathedral or museum can relax and enjoy a kid-friendly policy that allows them to stay longer than usual.
- High point: Creamy haddock and mash
- Low point: No cream with the fruit crumble
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 7
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening acoustic pop
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 50
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £12.50 per bottle