- Telephone 0141 332 3565
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 5–9.30pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun 5–9pm
- Pre-theatre times 2.30–6.30pm
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website teatrorestaurant.co.uk
A cosy basement venue close to the King’s Theatre, cramming fresh seafood, Italian staples and lively atmosphere into its cream leather booths.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Handy for the King’s Theatre, this cosy basement restaurant has a good range of set pre-theatre menus and lunchtime specials for the matinees. Settle into a cream leather booth and peruse a menu of pizza, pasta and a selection of fish and meat dishes, available with sides of garlic bread or chips. Starters include salsiccia which comes as a huge hand-shaped portion of homemade spicy sausage, and calamari, crisp light squid rings on a bed of rocket – crying out for a garlicky aioli. Tagliatelle Teatro is rich and creamy, ribbons of pasta with wild mushrooms shot through with earthy truffle oil, while spaghetti and meatballs are hugely satisfying, dense and meaty in a robust tomato ragù. To finish, there is a superior tiramisù of thick cream and soft biscuit, served with either a little Baileys or a small glass of fizz. Live music from classical and jazz guitarists at the weekend can make the place seem lively, especially as the small size means that it doesn’t take many people to fill the place with a nice fug of noise and warmth.
- High point: Indulgent desserts with champagne cocktails
- Low point: Starters can be a little basic
- Notable dish: Misto alla grigalia
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: light opera
- Live entertainment: Classical guitarist on Fri and Sat evening
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle