The Hyndland Café
Popular local institution serving all-day breakfasts, light lunches and sweet snacks
A handy local café on busy Clarence Drive in leafy Hyndland with a unique service that’s a boon for the area’s hungover students: on weekends they’ll deliver breakfast for those craving a bit of comfort food in bed. They also do a thriving takeaway trade as well as having tables and booths in the small café for those looking to settle in for the variety of all-day breakfasts, light lunches, sandwiches, soups and cakes as well as daily specials. All the usual favourites are on offer such as BLTs, baked potatoes and homemade macaroni cheese are here, simply prepared but certainly satisfying. There’s a particularly good choice of drinks, with coffees, herbal infusions, fruit smoothies, milkshakes and proper hot chocolate – perfect for whiling away a chatty hour with a friend.
- High point: 'Nana' Bisley's gloriously unhealthy cakes
- Low point: Hard to get a table at weekends
- Notable dish: Eggs Benedict
- Delivery: Deliveries Sat– Sun 10am–2pm only; cafe menu. £1.50 charge.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: MOR mix
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 7 - no bookings at weekends. Can also do special evening events up to 16.
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: £3 corkage
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Glasgow29 Mar 2012
The best all-rounders in the west, plus a few specific breakfast-item highlights
Café Gandolfi 64 Albion Street, 552 6813, cafegondolfi.com Breakfast served: Mon-Sat 8am-noon; Sun 9am-noon. The long-standing, Scottish cuisine-focused eatery has beefed up its breakfasts in recent years, resulting in a menu with eight different egg…