Café Source Too
- Telephone 0141 357 6437
- Bar open Sun–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5–9pm; Fri noon-3pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–8pm; Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–6.30pm; Sun noon–8pm.
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.cafesourcetoo.co.uk
A highly professional and popular restaurant specialising in Scottish food, unusually set in a West End sports club
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tucked inside Hillhead Sports Club, in a car park off a particularly peaceful and leafy West End street, Café Source Too can’t depend on passing trade. Yet the fact is this accomplished restaurant – younger stablemate to Cafe Source in the city – is busy most nights and often packed at weekends, presumably through neighbourly word of mouth and repeat business. The families, couples and groups of friends filling the comfortable, light-filled space come for hearty, modern Scottish cooking with a focus on local produce (hence the name ‘Source’). Renowned suppliers are given a starring role – Ramsay of Carluke is mentioned repeatedly on the menu – in dishes such as smoked pork loin with slow-braised pig cheek, daube of beef or dry-aged ribeye steak. Alongside these well-executed and fairly refined dishes, there’s an appealing list of salads and sandwiches, a regularly changing choice of sausages served with rumbledethumps (mashed tatties with cabbage and onion) and haggis in various incarnations, including a vegetarian variant. It’s got good value, too, particularly with the lunch and pre-theatre deals.
- High point: Excellent neighbourhood dining
- Low point: It's in a car park
- Notable dish: Slow-braised daube of beef with black pudding rumbledethumps
- Private dining: Up to 120 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: laid back electro pop
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle