Café Source Too
- Telephone 0141 357 6437
- Bar open Sun–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5–9pm; Fri noon-3pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–8pm; Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–6.30pm; Sun noon–8pm.
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.cafesourcetoo.co.uk
A highly professional and popular restaurant specialising in Scottish food, unusually set in a West End sports club
Its incongruous setting on the ground floor of the Hillhead sports complex doesn’t seem to faze the multitudes of locals who throng to this venue for meet-ups, birthdays, special evenings and family gatherings. The eating area is roomy with a large bar area, low ceilings, cream and coffee coloured walls and a swathe of picture windows along one side. The menu features bistro-style favourites while a specials board offers breakout choices and seasonal suggestions from the busy kitchen. Starter of ham and wild boar terrine is filling and tasty served on a crunchy toast while camembert, fig and onion tart makes a substantial option, served as a flaky puff pastry with rocket salad and sesame dressing. Main of slow-braised daube of beef is rich and warming, soaked in a deep dark gravy bolstered with roasted shallots and wild mushrooms, while a pan-fried duck breast from the specials is light, juicy and occasionally tangy. Extra sides including mac and cheese and splendid truffle and parmesan hand-cut chips are also available for a small supplement.
- High point: Solid and reliable neighbourhood dining
- Low point: Prosaic sports club toilets
- Notable dish: Truffle and Parmesan hand cut chips
- Private dining: Up to 120 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: laid back electro pop
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle