- Telephone 0131 220 3690
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7am–5pm, Sat 8am–5pm, Sun 9am–5pm
- Seasonal times Edinburgh Festival: Mon–Sun 7am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £6 (lunch)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
There are lots of places to get a panini and a cup of soup in the studenty heart of Edinburgh and an awful lot that serve lacklustre lunches from the sandwich conveyor belt. Global Deli has locals so regular they don’t need to bother giving their order anymore when they walk in, which will have something to do with owner Serkan Cinar’s chirpy, chatty counterside manner. The rest is explained by Serkan's shiny cabinet stocked with rounds of goats cheese, fresh guacamole, rosy sun blushed tomatoes and pots of other things to tie you in knots deciding on the perfect combination. Then you need to decide whether to fill one of the nine bread choices, a jacket potato or a salad box. Each day there are also a couple of different soups and a pasta dish, but only a small range of bought-in cakes and pastries.
- High point: An independent, well-stocked sandwich shop, serving decent coffee
- Low point: Gluey, commercial-tasting muffins
- Delivery: Buffet platters to offices in the local Old Town area
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 3
- Open since: 2002