- Telephone 0141 357 5482
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–10pm last orders 9.45
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
A buzzing West End bar-diner serving inventive Pan-Asian food in a relaxed setting, with a genuine eye to the needs of diners.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If a crowd cheerfully eating, drinking and relaxing is a sign of success then Bar Soba’s formula is clearly working. Service is relaxed and welcoming, and diners are encouraged to approach their experience in a leisurely fashion. Drinks are varied and well priced with interesting wines, a range of European and Asian beers and brilliant value cocktails. The Asian food appeals to the treat-seeking palate, with a couple of sharing platters to linger over as mains decisions are made. The anticipated delights are there but with a twist, such as the exemplary Thai green curry, served with green beans, pumpkin and aubergine for added texture. Aromatic red duck is particularly satisfying – the confit melts in the mouth while greens and lychees add crunch and sweetness. A separate vegetarian menu includes well-planned dishes such as temple tofu and broccoli with a generous portion of vegetables and sweet chilli-glazed tofu. The children’s menu has crowd-pleasers such as chicken satay and chicken katsu or high-end panko-coated sea bass fingers. Desserts, especially the passion fruit sorbet with pineapple salsa and mango daiquiri, maintain the Asian indulgence.
- High point: Genuine attempt to cater for all dietary needs
- Low point: Looking well worn – a refurb planned late 2016
- Notable dish: Aromatic red duck
- Delivery: Deliveroo used and prices applied
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Disco and Funk and sometimes staff choice
- Live entertainment: Fri/Sat DJs
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
2 for 1 on all main courses at Bar Soba
If the January blues are getting you down, we have just the thing to get you out of your funk. Our friends over at Bar Soba are offering readers 2 for 1 on all main courses throughout the month, thanks to their cracking January sale.
Street food bursts out from its exotic enclave in Glasgow and Edinburgh2 Apr 2015
Enjoy casual pan-Asian dining at restaurants including Bar Soba, Tuk Tuk and The Hanoi Bike Shop
From the crowded streets of Cambodia to the hustling alleys of Singapore, street food is an everyday occurrence for millions of people. Something that’s so mundane (to them) as a pandan pudding in Kuala Lumpur or a kimbap in Seoul suddenly becomes…