Bollywood: The Coffee Box
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 07814 603938
- Opening times Mon–Sun 10am–7pm
- Seasonal times Open to 10pm in the summer
- Food served Tue–Sun 10am–7pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £6 (lunch); £6 (in the summer)
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
‘Tummy to heart’ is the slogan which appears on the front of this Bruntsfield institution, and it’s certainly a venue which has earned itself a place in the hearts of locals. Set on the corner of Bruntsfield Links in an inventively converted former police box, Bollywood is small but perfectly formed, offering an assortment of Indian meals and snacks for takeaway or for eating in the small corner of the Links that the friendly owner Nutan Bala has marked out as an informal seating area. Samosas, pakoras and potato and pea aloo tikka are among the smaller snacks, along with a few soups like lentil and mustard rasam, and vegetable or chicken wraps. Interestingly, there are as many vegetarian options as meat ones, with the chickpea masala cholle, mixed vegetable lentil daal and various paneer (Indian cheese) dishes complementing chicken curries including vindaloo, saag (with spinach) and chilli.
- High point: Great vegetarian options, in particular
- Low point: Bring a rug for the grass
- Notable dish: Egg and potato curry cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and spices.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 0 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 0
- Open since: 2011
Reviews & features
Bollywood: The Coffee Box17 Feb 2012
Takeaway curry stand situated on Edinburgh's Bruntsfield Links
Inspired by the street food culture she grew up with in India, Nutan Bala left her job as a support worker and opened the hatches on Edinburgh’s first curry and coffee stand. Except for a mixed vegetable dhal, which has proven so popular that it has…