- Telephone 07984 526884
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–6pm, Sat 1–7pm, closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sat 10am–7pm. Closed Sun, April to July. Sun 9am–8pm during August.
- Food served Winter: Mon–Sat noon–5pm. Closed Sun. Spring/Summer: Mon–Sat 10am–7pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £5 (lunch)
- Website tupiniquim.co.uk
Fabulous Brazilian street food and micro festival venue.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This police box at the top of Middle Meadow Walk serves up 100 per cent gluten-free crêpes, with a sunny, healthy Brazilian spin. Tropicalia sounds emerge from the tiny cabin’s radio, as do freshly squeezed juices for £3 (ask for lemongrass or ginger kicks in your beetroot and orange, or apple and carrot juice, depending on what’s in smiley owner Fernando Miranda’s fruit bowl that day). There are myriad ways to get your five-a-day here, with purple sprouting broccoli, butternut squash, spinach, red peppers and cherry tomatoes showing up regularly in the daily crêpe specials, alongside spicy sausage, jalapeños, marinated lamb, chicken and lots of melted cheese. For the sweet-toothed, they do options with strawberries, chocolate, bananas and more. Saturdays are feijoada days (a traditional Brazilian beef stew with beans and spices) and if the weather is feeling cooperative, you can eat your takeaway in the sunshine on their fold-up chairs (summer months only). Because of its location – in the heart of student-land, and also the epicentre of festival-land during August – queues are common, but the wait is worth it.
- High point: Friendly service and healthy, monster-sized crêpes
- Low point: Their doors might be closed on very windy days
- Notable dish: Halloumi, mozzarella, butternut squash, red pepper, spinach and purple sprouting broccoli special in a gluten-free crêpe
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Outdoor tables
- Live entertainment: Occasional cinebox early-evening soup and short films. They run a stage for live music during August, just behind the police box.
- Capacity: 16 (all outside)
- Open since: 2010