The Balcony Café
- Telephone 0141 427 9550
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat & Sun 10am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Opens at 11am on school holidays
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–6pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £9 (evening meal)
- Website www.glasgowclimbingcentre.com
A gap year in cafe form that punches above its weight
Want to go on a gap year but don’t have the funds or the time? No problem. Hang out, possibly literally, in the Glasgow Climbing Centre’s Balcony Café and enjoy the thrills of a real gap year: stunning views of lakes and mountains (OK it is a large print photo, but it works), listening in on conversations with global accents; enjoying Hendrix at full volume; and feasting on snacks with international flavours and cool-sounding names referencing travel experiences. This welcoming concoction is partly down to Liam McAlpine (fresh from Live at Five on STV) and his infectious enthusiasm for ‘flavour bombs’ and generally injecting fire into the regularly changing menu ranging from creative sandwiches, quesadillas and frittatas to pizzas and more meaty offerings such as ox cheek in brandy cream sauce or Thai meatballs. Expect haggis nachos for £6 – a favourite for hangovers apparently, as well as super-tender pulled pork, Curly Wurly cakes and healthy smoothies with mountain monikers like ‘The Cobbler’. As McAlpine says (yes, that really is his name, appropriately), it may not be the cheapest food in the area – but it is fantastic value for what you get.
- High point: Stunning mountain views …
- Low point: … but they ain't real
- Notable dish: Haggis nachos
Upstairs at The Glasgow Climbing Centre you will find a gem of a café.The Balcony is run by our fantastic Café Manager, Liam. He has created a menu of freshly made sandwiches and delicious main meals served along with our 'real bean' coffee. Pop in for great food, freshly prepared, and enjoy this unique venue. Watch others climbing, or use our free WiFi.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Whole centre can be hired for climbing day.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011