- Telephone 0131 467 7513
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7:30am–5pm, Sat/Sun 9am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.havencafe.co.uk
Colourful community café bringing quality homemade breakfasts, lunches, coffee and cake to Newhaven.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This is an exceptionally busy, bustling wee café, given its position on the main road on the edge of Newhaven. Its eclectic interior (decorated with bric-a-brac and antiques lovingly sourced by owner Natalie's dad), friendly service and top-notch grub has clearly wooed the locals. The excellent value breakfasts have everything you’d want with free-range eggs, locally sourced meat and veggie alternatives. This alone makes it worth a visit at the weekend, when it's been known for queues to extend out the door, but you also won’t want to leave without trying the famous pancakes. These are thick, fluffy and accompanied by bacon and maple syrup for breakfast or packed full of berries, Nutella or banana for a sweet treat later in the day. Everything is homemade in the open-plan kitchen, including a good selection of sandwiches, a tasty soup of the day – perhaps tomato with pesto – and lovely cakes.
- High point: Thick, fluffy, fruity beautiful pancakes!
- Low point: Food might go cold while you're on the lengthy trek to the toilet
- Notable dish: Pancakes with maple syrup
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk, disco
- Live entertainment: Pancake eating challenge on Pancake Day
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: none
- Open since: 2011