- Telephone 0131 229 7747
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–11pm
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Edinburgh Festival and Christmas period
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3–6pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.kamasutrarestaurants.com
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Kama Sutra has a monopoly on Lothian Road’s Indian food offering, occupying large premises well suited to big groups. The menu is extensive, with classics such as North Indian garlic chilli chicken and curries from the subtly spiced korma to a hot and fiery madras. There is also a range of tandoor and regional dishes, such as Kashmiri rogan josh. All dishes arrive promptly and starters are a highlight, the chandri chilli chicken making a particularly good impression. Main course portion sizes are ample, but don’t quite stand up to the quality of the starters – there’s a tendency towards over-cooked meat and the curries can be oily. However, the pleasant service, alcohol licence and good selection of beers and wines makes for a decent venue for a gathering of friends before or after a show at one of the many nearby arts venues.
- High point: Good for big groups
- Low point: Main courses don't stand up to the quality of the starters
- Notable dish: Chandri chilli chicken
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: November 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle