Black Medicine Coffee Company
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 625 5630
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 9am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–5pm; Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £5.50 (soup & sandwich)
- Website www.blackmed.co.uk
A cosy, neighbourhood cafe with the feel of a log cabin
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
As well as the busy, student-filled Black Medicine on Nicolson Street, this smaller outpost sits beside Bruntsfield Links. It has a cosy, log-cabin feel with wood-panelled walls and chunky wooden furniture. On clear days, you can soak up the sun streaming in though the south-facing window overlooking the links, or grab some cushions in the ‘tree house’ upstairs. The soft click of laptops compete with the ever-hissing coffee machine, as busy as any in Milan (almost). A simple menu of panini, wraps, melts and bagels is chalked on a board and the pure Arabica coffee beats the pants of any of the generic high street coffee chains. In particular, the smoothies are superb, especially the mixed summer berries, ginger and pomegranate.
- High point: The smoothies
- Low point: Can feel a bit crammed
- Notable dish: Mixed summer berries, ginger and pomegranate juice smoothie
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: indie stuff
- Capacity: 50
- Open since: 2009