- Telephone 0131 229 3402
- Seasonal times 3am licence during Christmas and Edinburgh Festival period
- Bar open Mon–Sun 8am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–11.30am, noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.thehuxley.co.uk
Quintessential West End bar that pays attention to the details, its huge windows make a great spot for people watching.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Huxley’s huge windows dominate its little corner and at first glance everything is as you’d expect from a West End bar – a little bit glitzy, a little bit glam, a little bit Friday night. While the menu’s current focus on burgers and dogs seems at odds with the surroundings, sharing a kitchen with sister restaurant Kyloe means good meat – crumbly, well-seasoned burgers that hold their own against a heavy load of toppings. (And watch out for a menu update planned for the spring.) With rooms upstairs, they open early for a busy breakfast service which is popular with tourists and locals alike. Brews like Schiehallion and Angry Orchard cider make an appearance at the taps and there’s a short but classy cocktail list. Are there more cutting-edge bars in town? Sure, but the Huxley knows its stuff and does its stuff well.
- High point: Friendly, good-looking West End bar …
- Low point: … which doesn't hold a lot of surprises
- Notable dish: Notorious P.I.G
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic rock
- Live entertainment: Acoustic sets every second Sunday plus occasional DJs
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16 per bottle