In the centre of Marchmont lies a little café with a hearty dose of West Coast banter and good home- baking.
It’s easy to miss this tiny café, but what a shame that would be. The Pastures is a lovely little place with just a few tables and a friendly, local following. The classics which make up a full or veggie breakfast are ready and waiting for you to mix and match. There are baked potatoes, sandwiches, panini and daily specials of hearty fare like mince and tatties to keep you going at lunchtime. Everything is served up with a healthy dose of banter from Jane; the owner, chef, and live entertainment. All the baking takes place at the Wynd Café, their larger site in Dunfermline. A slice of their seeded beetroot loaf cake, a cup of Artisan roast coffee, and a side of Jane’s West Coast warmth is the perfect recipe to melt the frostiest of Edinburgh mornings.
- High point: Delicious home-baking and friendly locals
- Low point: Limited seating
- Notable dish: Seeded beetroot loaf cake
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio
- Capacity: 14 (20 including seasonal outdoor seating)
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2011
- BYOB: Free corkage (Evenings only)