- Telephone 0131 557 5098
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–2pm, 5–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5 – 7.30
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price 3 courses £14.95
- Website www.shezanedinburgh.com
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Shezan’s glowing multi-coloured sign is just one clue to this Edinburgh institution’s glittering facelift. Giant gold stars adorn the walls next to familiar faces from the Bollywood screen. The resulting interior is modern, plush and ever so sparkly. The poori starter (which in other extablishments often suffers from oiliness) contains succulent prawns in a fresh tangy sauce and comes wrapped in the fluffiest pancake. The seekh kebab is another noteworthy dish with delicately spiced lamb, beautifully cooked for optimum juiciness. The karahi bhoona, one of the house specialities, sets the bar high for the mains, while moist, succulent lamb set in an intense dark sauce delivers meltingly tender meat with flashes of fresh coriander and ginger to stop the dish from descending into heaviness. The fennel-infused pilau rice is fragrant and the naan bread comes in extremely generous portions. If room allows, the cardamom-infused Kulfi offers a refreshing end to the meal. While the décor has only been around for a short while, the food demonstrates the cook’s continued dedication to a centuries-old Punjabi tradition.
- High point: Ideally situated for a pre-theatre meal
- Low point: Careful of those large portions or you may sleep through the show
- Notable dish: Prawn Poori
Over 40 years' experience can be found at Shezan Tandoori in the heart of Edinburgh. Exotic combinations of spices and rich creams go into the traditional recipes on the menu, offering a superb choice of tastes.
Highly spiced or mild, there are a choice of meats, as well as vegetarian options. The welcoming ambience and attractive Indian décor make the private dining option a great choice for special events.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: oriental
- Capacity: 76
- Largest group: 76
- Open since: 1977
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle