This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 667 2299
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3pm–6pm.
- Average price £7 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.nawrozrestaurant.com
Big Kurdish restaurant with a large selection of mezze, specialising in charcoal grilled meats.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A spacious glass-fronted Kurdish restaurant near Edinburgh University and the big Fringe venues, the décor here is traditional Middle Eastern and the atmosphere informal. Among the large selection of hot and cold mezze, the falafel stand out, being light and vibrantly spiced, unlike the heavy pucks sold in some supermarkets. The style of food is homely, with big portions of meat in piquant sauces and dried lemons or pomegranate dressing adding a tangy edge. A point of difference in Kurdish cuisine is that meat is cooked on a charcoal grill, infusing it with extra smokiness. There’s certainly plenty of different kebabs to choose from, but despite the meat focus, the vegetarian dishes are far from an afterthought, with interesting aubergine and okra dishes. With a private dining area, Nawroz specialises in catering for large parties and group dining is certainly the best chance to sample all the mezze. There’s an outdoor seating area for shisha pipe smoking that’s popular in the summertime.
- High point: Great mezze selection
- Low point: Very busy during the Festival
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Middle eastern
- Capacity: 110 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: 95
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: No charge corkage (Non-alcoholic beer and elderflower champagne available)