The Brass Monkey Leith
- Telephone 0131 554 5286
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–8pm.
- Average price £3.50 (set lunch); £8.50 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
In many ways, the Leith branch of Brass Monkey has all the ingredients required to be a new-and-improved version of the popular Drummond Street movie bar. Much of the décor is the same: dark wood tables and chairs are interspersed with mismatched comfortable furniture. High-colour classic movie posters almost wallpaper the room. Like the Southside incarnation, classic films are screened every day but the space in Leith seems bigger and better with proper couches in place of the slouchy movie room across the city. The kitchen’s bigger too, allowing for a more thorough menu to be offered up, and there’s a nod to the American movie in the offerings (pizzas, hot dogs, nachos). Something of the cosy atmosphere on offer at Drummond Street seems a little lost, however, in the bigger surroundings.
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Jam sessions on Tuesday evenings, cinema screenings at 1pm daily if it's busy enough
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £9.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar Crawls: Edinburgh - No Sleep Till Leith18 Nov 2011
From central Edinburgh and Leith the best way possible – by the bars
Determining the point at which Leith Walk starts has baffled philosophers, locals and postal workers for decades. Haddington Place and Leith Street have (understandably) become subsumed within this long, iconic thoroughfare that joins Edinburgh with…