Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 10am–10pm; Thu–Sat 10am–11.30pm; Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Average price £6.50 (lunch); £12.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
There’s nothing on the menu that indicates the fact that the kitchen is vegan at this impressive airy and arty city centre café – which has a separate bar and outdoor terrace upstairs. It’s only when the pizza arrives with no cheese on it or the haggis fritters are filled with vegetarian haggis that you know something’s different. It’s quite a large menu with a small plate selection serving as tapas or starters depending on your appetite. The marinated, griddled aubergines with mint, chilli and lemon are a refreshing and light way to start. There’s also plenty of tasty soups on offer, accompanied by delicious homemade bread. Main course salads are substantial with strong flavour combinations such as roast beetroot and avocado with broad beans, hazelnuts and sherry vinegar dressing. The vegetable tagine is hearty and wholesome served with delicious spelt couscous. Ice cream made from soya milk works well as does the warm chocolate cake, which is dense and very rich. It’s the sort of animal-free dining that goes a long way to proving we can kerb any carnivorous leanings and still enjoy delicious food.
- High point: A vegan kitchen in the city centre
- Low point: Pizzas
- Notable dish: Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul/jazz/rock
- Live entertainment: Gigs in parts of CCA (club nights when restaurant shut)
- Capacity: 60 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Double Sight Weekender
Eyes Wide Shut present Scotland's only dedicated garage and 60s psych weekender, featuring international guest DJs and live music.
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Saramago Café Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments