Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Seasonal times Closes 24th December until January 3rd, opening for Hogmanay
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–10pm; Thu–Sat noon–11.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
A cool, creative hang-out inside the CCA, with exciting animal-free dining, plus separate bar and outdoor terrace.
It will surprise no-one that a vegan restaurant in a contemporary arts centre draws a decidedly cool clientele into its fairy-light strung, airy, atrium dining space – or the upstairs bar with a sneaky outdoor terrace. What may surprise is the range and complexity of the food on offer – it’s seasonal, exciting, flavoursome and diverse. The menu draws on influences from around the globe – butternut squash laksa, cauliflower masala, gnocchi with kale and pumpkin seed pesto, and from home for vegetarian haggis. A main course mezze platter allows indecisive diners to sample a range of small dishes such as beetroot and walnut hummus, kale and butternut squash panzanella and potato and chickpea chaat. The menu changes regularly to take full advantage of the fruits of the season but in leaner months this can lead to a degree of repetition in the ingredients. New for 2018 is Sunday brunch with scrambled tofu and tempeh rashers replacing the usual eggs and bacon. In a concession to omnivores, a variety of milks, including dairy, is available for coffee and tea.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Beatles, Bowie and classic 60s/70s pop
- Live entertainment: Gigs in parts of CCA (club nights when restaurant shut) and DJs Thu–Sat and every second Weds
- Capacity: 100 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best vegetarian and vegan cafes in Glasgow31 May 2018
Spots that are dedicated to serving top notch veggie and vegan food
If you're sick of meat dominating the menu or just fancy giving vegetarian cuisine a whirl then here's a list of highly recommended places for vegan and veggie dishes.
Best arts venues for food and drink in Glasgow17 Apr 2018
Classy cafés for impressive lunching with a large side order of art
Glasgow is a city packed full of museums, galleries and arts venues, and with this huge array of attractions comes a great selection of places to eat and drink. From restaurants in beloved Glaswegian landmarks that feeds the hungry masses, to smaller…