Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Seasonal times Closed Dec 24 to Jan 3
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–10pm; Thu–Sat noon–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
A cool, creative hang-out inside the CCA, with exciting animal-free dining, plus separate bar and outdoor terrace.
It takes creativity and wholesome ingredients for a vegan menu to not only appeal to those choosing the meat and dairy-free path, but to win over the carnivores’ taste buds, too. Saramago uses fresh local ingredients to create a nutritious, energetic menu, which is entirely vegan. Dining in what appears to be a repurposed courtyard provides a fun al fresco experience, complete with colourful festoon lights, with none of Glasgow’s winter climate. Small plates such as roasted cauliflower with tangy tahini, mint and date syrup are delicious on their own, but for the indecisive or the ravenous, the mezze platter delivers a highlights reel of the small plates offerings, featuring peppery haggis fritters, fluffy sweet potato and chickpea fritters, nutty confit garlic and wild mushrooms, freshly baked bread and more. The CCA is fizzing, hosting exhibitions, films, art, live music and game nights, all delightfully accompanied by Saramago’s enticing drinks list, which can also be enjoyed in the bar upstairs or even on the outdoor terrace. With 18 wines by the glass, rotating craft lagers and even a wide selection of tea, Saramago is worth the visit, even if it’s just for a drink.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid back / classics
- Live entertainment: Gigs in parts of CCA (club nights when restaurant shut) and DJs Thu–Sat and every second Weds
- Capacity: 100 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £19.10 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best arts venues for food and drink in Glasgow4 Jun 2019
Classy cafés for impressive lunching with a large side order of art
Glasgow is a city packed full of museums, galleries and arts venues, and with this huge array of attractions comes a great selection of places to eat and drink. From restaurants in beloved Glaswegian landmarks that feeds the hungry masses, to smaller…
Best vegetarian and vegan cafes in Glasgow31 May 2018
Spots that are dedicated to serving top notch veggie and vegan food
If you're sick of meat dominating the menu or just fancy giving vegetarian cuisine a whirl then here's a list of highly recommended places for vegan and veggie dishes.