Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Seasonal times Closes 24th December until January 3rd, opening for Hogmanay
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 10am–10pm; Thu–Sat 10am–11.30pm; Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7pm
- Average price £7.75 (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.50
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
A cool, creative hang-out inside the CCA, with exciting animal-free dining, plus separate bar and outdoor terrace.
The bright and airy Saramango Café Bar in the spacious atrium of the Centre for Contemporary Arts – which hosts various cultural events including exhibitions and festivals – is a great place to enjoy a drink or linger over deliciously inventive vegetarian and vegan food. Start with the curly kale with soy and ginger, or smoked tofu tempura before moving on to the mezze platter – it really is a sight to behold and includes cannellini and roast garlic hummus, baba ghanoush, dolmades and cauliflower with salsa verde. The soggy griddled leeks with romesco sauce don’t work as well as the rest of the items, but this is still a fantastic – and very filling – main course. The artichoke, caper, olive and fresh basil pizza will make you wonder why you ever bothered with meaty toppings in the past. Finish off your visit with a drink upstairs in the lively Terrace Bar with offerings of local brews, and, weather permitting, grab a seat outside on their terrace.
- High point: High-quality vegetarian and vegan food
- Low point: Dessert selection a bit limited
- Notable dish: Potato, cavalo nero, chestnut mushroom and pesto pizza with garlic and rosemary oil
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Gigs in parts of CCA (club nights when restaurant shut) and DJs at the weekend.
- Capacity: 60 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle