- Telephone 0141 552 0139
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri & Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5pm–7pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.fanellisglasgow.com
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
It can seem a bit lonely sitting in the plush but slightly soulless Merchant Square, but Fanelli’s has a very warm welcome. On offer here are Italian staples with a Scottish influence creeping in. This is evident in pizza combinations such as haggis and parma ham, or in a salsiccia casserole served with a creamy mash. Simple starters include bruschetta piled with tomatoes, fresh mussels in white wine sauce, a tarragon-filled cream of chicken soup and juicy king prawns served in a light tomato, chilli and garlic sauce. The pollo alla cacciatore main with spaghetti is more solidly Italian while the pizza loaded with haggis and Stornoway black pudding is a real Scottish feast. And to finish a Scot-Italian cranachan made with amaretto biscuits. It is also worth noting that the place is very child friendly – Italian to the fore no doubt – and at the weekends Fanelli’s run pizza-making classes for both kids and adults.
- High point: Genuinely friendly service
- Low point: Black pudding deployed in hefty wedges
- Private dining: Up to 120 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: ambient beats very quietly
- Capacity: 178
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle