Ronde Bicycle Outfitters
- Telephone 0131 260 9888
- Opening times Mon–Wed & Fri, Sat 8am–6pm; Thu 8am–7pm; Sun 10am–4pm
- Food served Mon–Wed & Fri/Sat 9am–6pm; Thu 9am–7pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Average price £5.90 (lunch)
- Website rondebike.com
Neighbourhood bike shop café catering for cycle enthusiasts and pedestrians alike, serving up soup, cake and coffee.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The walls of Ronde Bicycle Outfitters are lined with the white tiles of the butcher shop it once was. Situated at the front of the store, its café offers respite for bike enthusiasts and mere mortals alike. Cheerfully kitted out with bare wooden tables and benches, and offering a pared-back menu of tasty homemade soups (one vegetarian, one meat – and what’s not to love about smoked sausage and pea?), pastries, inventive daily cakes (think spiced apple and pumpkin), and teas and coffees, it’s a relaxed affair with friendly, chatty staff. A large screen enables projections of major cycling events like the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia and the café also hosts bike-related exhibitions and readings, making it something of a place-to-be for those who know their fixies from their mountain bikes. And if cycling’s your thing, their bike club can be found refuelling there on Saturday afternoons.
- High point: Inventive cakes with a gluten-free option
- Low point: Limited menu
- Notable dish: Satisfying soup
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Various
- Live entertainment: Occasional bike races on the big screen, acoustic music, poetry and Q&A events, photo exhibitions
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2011