Taco Mazama Mexican Kitchen
- Telephone 0141 337 3399
- Food served Mon–Wed 11am–10pm; Thu 11am–11pm; Fri 11am–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £7.99 (set lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Typical order Slow-cooked barbecue pork burrito (£4.99)
- Website www.tacomazama.co.uk
Trailblazing Mexican takeaway with blow-your-mind hot sauce an option
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When Taco Mazama opened its first branch on Renfield Street back in 2010 it wasn’t just a breath of fresh air, it was a large, zesty lungful of Tex-Mex deliciousness. It brought us bulging burritos and crispy tacos rammed with slow-cooked beef and silky, spicy fresh veg and all served in a funky, friendly atmosphere. Taco still does all that, in three easy ordering steps – tortilla or bowl, filling, salsas and sauces – while also catering really well for both spice-lovers and the more palate-cautious with add-on sauces providing a choice of heat intensities so they can be applied or avoided as desired. The expanding family of branches – the original was joined by a Byres Road venue, then a branch in Central Station and now they’re in Edinburgh as well – makes one feel that the original vision is perhaps in danger of being diluted. That said, the fresh flavours conjured up make it still one of the best dinner-in-silver-foil options in town.
- High point: Freshly made and extra heat if desired
- Low point: US mall-style production line
- Notable dish: Shredded beef chilli burrito with jalapeños and guacamole £7.99
- Delivery: Free over £10 order
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 20
- Open since: 2011