Taco Mazama Mexican Kitchen
- Telephone 0141 337 3399
- Food served Mon–Wed 11am–10pm; Thu 11am–10pm; Fri 11am–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £5.49–£7.99 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Typical order Slow-cooked barbecue pork burrito (£4.99)
- Website www.tacomazama.co.uk
Trailblazing Mexican takeaway doing tantalizing vegan options, burritos and bowls.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When Taco Mazama opened its first branch on Renfield Street back in 2010 it wasn’t just a breath of fresh air, it was a large, zesty lungful of Tex-Mex deliciousness. It brought us bulging burritos and crispy tacos rammed with slow-cooked beef and silky, spicy fresh veg and all served in a funky, friendly atmosphere. Taco still does all that, in three easy ordering steps – tortilla or bowl, filling, salsas and sauces – while also catering really well for both spice-lovers and the more palate-cautious with add-on sauces providing a choice of heat intensities so they can be applied or avoided as desired. The expanding family of branches – the original was joined by a Byres Road venue, then a branch in Central Station and now they’re in Edinburgh as well – makes one feel that the original vision is perhaps in danger of being diluted. That said, the fresh flavours conjured up make it still one of the best dinner-in-silver-foil options in town.
- High point: Freshly made and extra heat if desired
- Low point: US mall-style production line
- Notable dish: Shredded beef chilli burrito with jalapeños and guacamole £7.99
- Delivery: Free over £10 order
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of rock pop and indie.
- Capacity: 40-60
- Largest group: 0
- Open since: 2011