Punjabi Charing Cross
- Telephone 0141 221 3926
- Food served Mon–Wed 4.30–11.30pm; Thu & Sun noon–2.30pm 4.30–11.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.30pm, 4.30pm–midnight
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Sat 4.30–7pm
- Average price £5.95 (Thu/Fri); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (3 courses)
- Website www.punjabicharingcross.co.uk
A quaint and comfortable setting, Punjabi at Charing Cross offers up hearty food and a warm welcome.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Since 2011, Punjabi at Charing Cross has prided itself on being a quaint and comfortable setting for good food. But the restaurant has been trading in some form in the city for over three decades, before moving to its new surroundings. An ideal stop-off in the transition from city centre to West End, Punjabi offers hearty, homely dishes and a warm welcome. Freshly made poppadums are placed in front of diners upon entry, with a smile that stays with the server till the end. With a classic backdrop, once a traditional pub, this curryhouse offers a big dose of good service and an array of South Asian specialities. Dishes to look out for include the haggis pakora starter and the Goanese lamb curry, as well as the mulaidhar chicken. With a variety of freshly made naans and a good selection of side dishes, the menu easily caters for all. Open every day of the week, Punjabi is a hit with nearby office workers and revellers from the Bon Accord next door.
- High point: Friendly service
- Low point: Draught beer
- Notable dish: Goanese lamb curry
- Delivery: £1.50–£2.50
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
- BYOB: none corkage