- Telephone 0131 523 1171
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–6.30pm; Sat noon–3pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15.95 (£18.95 three courses)
- Website www.amaronerestaurant.co.uk
Large, crowd-pleasing restaurant and eat-in bar with good pizza and pasta options and a hint of George Street glitz.
In tune with its sister restaurants dotted around the country, Amarone has hit on a formula aimed at mass appeal. The entrance foyer bar leads to large, high-ceilinged rooms, busy with dark fabric banquettes and splashes of burgundy, twinkly lights and a hint of George Street glitz. A fairly eclectic crowd enjoy an all-day à la carte menu that covers a lot of ground, with pizza, pasta and sharing focaccia options, familiar mains and a selection of steaks. A popular antipasti board of cured meats and grilled vegetables is followed by thinly stretched pizzas speckled with spicy nduja sausage and roasted peppers. Mains feature the likes of king scallops sautéed in white wine and chilli on a bed of tagliolini, linguine with clams or a risotto of smoked salmon and prawns. A fixed-price menu stretches from lunch to early evening, with plenty of gluten-free options across a restaurant that comfortably caters for cosy couples and the largest of gatherings. There’s also the most delightful private dining room, hidden away in the converted basement vault – definitely worth a peek.
- Private dining: Up to 28 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed bag with a leaning to Italian tunes
- Capacity: 215
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle