This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 667 8991
- Opening times Tue–Sun 11am–9.30pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sun noon–9.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times From 5pm, table back for 7.30pm. Includes glass of wine.
- Pre-theatre price £14.95 (£17.95 three courses)
- Website www.cafecassis.co.uk
Authentic French country cooking in a welcoming family-run café-bistro.
Crème brûlée or chocolate mousse? Pity poor Stephen Hawking. For his Desert Island Discs luxury, he wasn’t allowed both but had to choose. There’s no such problem at Café Cassis, where the house favourite assiette gourmande of five desserts includes tarte tatin, spice ice-cream, lemon posset and a wee crème brûlée plus the intense chocolate hit of a tiny, gooey brownie. Desserts are a speciality, and these alone would make it worth seeking out this comfortable café-bistro tucked into the basement of the adjacent hotel. Add to this Nantes-born chef Denis Guillonneau’s repertoire of French country cooking and the loyal local clientele that keeps the place steadily busy are really in danger of having to share their favourite neighbourhood dining spot. Beef cheek with its own concentrated braising juices is piled onto wedges of waxy boiled potatoes. A pheasant breast and confit leg come with cabbage and unctuous dauphinoise, while Scottish mussels and queenies shine, simply prepared with shallots and cream plus a chunk of good baguette. Poor Professor Hawking. Just one pud – and no garlicky escargots.
- No. overnight rooms: 18
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background music
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: June 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.25 per bottle