- Telephone 0131 225 2213
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–10.30pm
- Food served Mon–Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–10.30pm.
- Average price £17 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.strada.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
The sole Scottish outpost of this London-centric chain attracts a mainly tourist crowd in the evening, replacing the daytime gaggle of shoppers and occasional business lunch. Yet, with the first warm rays of sunshine Strada’s appeal widens to anyone keen to eat al fresco. There is space for 22 in summer, and those who manage to grab a table can enjoy a fine view of the castle and no diesel fumes on this pedestrianized stretch of Castle Street. Inside, the design is boxy and functional, with well-spaced tables, comfy banquettes in the rear and big, dolce vita-style photos on the walls. Though popular for pizza and pasta, the delicate, creamy vegetable risotto is a good alternative, and the chicken or beef puccia – wrapped in stone-baked pizza dough – is a speciality. For puddings try the sweet, semifreddo nougat with a shot of espresso, or go for one of the artisan ice-creams.
- High point: Al fresco dining when the sun's out
- Low point: The all-Italian wine list could be a lot more adventurous
- Notable dish: Beef / chicken puccia wrapped in stone-baked pizza dough
- Private dining: Up to 54 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop (Amy Winehouse)
- Capacity: 145 (including outdoor seating)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle