The Lobster Shack
- Telephone 07910 620480
- Seasonal times Closed Nov–Mar.
- Food served June–Sept: Mon–Sun noon–6pm; March–May restricted opening; closed Nov–Feb. All opening times weather and catch dependent - check Twitter before setting out.
- Average price £14 (lunch)
- Website www.lobstershack.co.uk
Literally a seafront shack by the marina, The Lobster Shack serves up some of the most luxurious fish and chips it’s possible to find. Half a lobster for just shy of £9 – or a whole one if you’re really in need – nestled rosily on top of a generous portion of crunchy chips is the most popular order, but there’s an array of alternatives. Heaps of white crab in a cocktail is mixed with iceberg lettuce and not quite enough Marie-rose sauce (though too little is better than too much); mussels are cooked in white wine, garlic and cream; there’s the obligatory fish and chips, or daily specials could include Asian-inspired noodles with veg and seafood. The lobster shell is pre-cracked for you, but you’ll still get messy when you get stuck in; with local beer, cider and even champagne on sale to wash it down, this has got to be one of the most indulgent and laid back treats around.
A simple, clapperboard beach hut beside the seawall at the harbour in North Berwick with today’s catch chalked up on the board, the Lobster Shack is an approachable way to enjoy a normally pricey treat. It's attractively straightforward: a summertime menu of lobster, langoustines, mackerel and mussels, with a few extras like chips, slaw or cakes, along with beer, cider, wine and champagne as coolly refreshing as the sea air. You can sit at one of the tables beside the shack, perch on the harbour wall looking out to the source of your feast, or order ahead and pick up a taste of the sea to enjoy at home.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £17 per bottle