- Telephone 0131 556 6963
- Seasonal times Sat/Sun 8am–10pm in summer. 3am bar closing during Edinburgh Festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–10pm (1am if hosting an event).
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–9pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.circusedinburgh.com
Centrally located Mediterranean café with pretty outdoor garden.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This place really comes into its own during the summer months, being one of the few places near the Royal Mile to have outdoor seating in a pretty garden courtyard, away from the traffic. The garden’s open year round, though, so customers can sit outside in the winter if they’re hardy enough. Situated as it is in tourist central, the menu aims to please all tastes. It’s nominally a Mediterranean café/bistro with some mezze, piquant Turkish beef sausages or unusual filo rolls filled with tangy cheese and herbs. But there’s also plenty of paninis, pasta dishes and burgers too. Cooking is fairly simple; grilled salmon comes with few adornments, lamb kebabs are gently spiced but standard fare. You can also just pop in for a coffee and homemade cake if a full sit-down meal isn’t what you’re after. Plus, there’s regular storytelling and live music events here and it’s worth checking out what they’ve got on during the Edinburgh Festival.
- High point: The garden space
- Low point: Limited wine list
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Quiet pop music
- Live entertainment: Music, storytelling and other events, posted on the Facebook site.
- Capacity: 50 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Guid Crack Club
Regular storytelling club involving song and music aplenty.