The Mosque Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 667 4035
- Seasonal times Open to 11pm during August
- Food served Mon–Sun 11.30am–10pm (Fri closed 1–1.45pm).
- Average price £9.95 (weekends only Fri–Sun 2pm–8pm, not Aug); £7 (evening meal)
- Website www.mosquekitchen.com
No-frills, canteen-style dining room, serving basic but tasty meat and vegetable curries at low prices.
Nestled in a little enclave of curry houses next to the Edinburgh Central Mosque, this hot-plate café is a haven for students, university staff and, of course, the post-prayer hungry. Plain white and yellow paintwork brings a fresh clean feel and big round tables are ideal for groups of friends set on putting the world to rights over a generous portion of chicken, lamb or vegetable curry. Halal meat is freshly cooked each day in medium spices and may include a tikka masala or a biryani. Vegetarians and vegans are well catered for with a thick, rich tomato aubergine curry or a nice gooey sag aloo. It’s all wheat-free unless you request a naan on the side, which you can ask to be freshly cooked. It’s also worth noting Mosque Kitchen is completely alcohol-free. It may not be Edinburgh’s finest, but with a chicken tikka masala with rice served with a friendly smile for a mere £6, it's a popular choice, particularly at lunchtime.
- High point: Maybe the best value curry in the UK?
- Low point: Comfort comes second to convenience – it's a bit of barn
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: No background music
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2011
Reviews & features
The best restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow for cheap eating in January9 Jan 2012
Dining out options that won't break the bank
EDINBURGH The Mosque Kitchen Now relocated from its former al fresco spot outside Edinburgh’s mosque, the café-style Mosque Kitchen still serves a fine range of halal meat and vegetable curries in no-fuss polystyrene dishes for under £5 including…