The Salisbury Arms
- Telephone 0131 667 4518
- Seasonal times Mon–Thu 11am–3am; Fri/Sat 11am–3am; Sun noon– 3am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.thesalisburyarmsedinburgh.co.uk
Spacious gastropub with a warm, homely interior and a beer garden with views of Arthur's Seat.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This off-the-beaten-track location provides a welcome retreat from Edinburgh's city centre. The Salisbury Arms offers free on-site parking and attracts families, students from nearby university halls and locals. This diverse clientele is reflected in the all-encompassing gastropub menu, which consists largely of British favourites, although has recently expanded to include homemade pizza and pasta too. Alongside the comforting classics of chicken and ham pie, beer-battered cod and rump steak, more adventurous diners can sample slow-cooked pork belly and seared scallops or duck leg confit and waffle, while regulars may recommend Sunday's popular trio of roasts. Both the restaurant and the separate bar area are warmed by open wood fires, which along with tartan soft-furnishings and a mellow earthy interior, ensures a cosy country pub feel in spite of the building's size.
- High point: Twenty-five wines available by the glass
- Low point: Maybe trying to cover too many bases
- Notable dish: Rabbit & tarragon pie
- Private dining: 40 downstairs, 80 upstairs
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Contemporary easy listening
- Live entertainment: Tue quiz night plus occasional acoustic bands. Introducing new themed quizzes on Thu.
- Capacity: 170 (120 dining/50 bar)
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle