- Telephone 0131 229 9933
- Seasonal times Extended during Festival and Christmas period to 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu 9am–midnight; Fri/Sat 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–11.30pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.redsquirreledinburgh.co.uk
Bucket-loads of beers and burgers, and more besides.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Start with the beers, because here it’s all about the beers. With an ever-changing combination of local taps, The Red Squirrel pretty much guarantee you won’t get bored with your pint. Expect to see a good mix of brewers like Pilot, Williams and Alechemy on the taps, with guest appearances from Belgium and the US too. Staff know their stuff, so if you’re feeling frisky why not ask for them to sort you out with a taster flight? That said, this is a happy-go-lucky sort of place which wears its knowledge lightly – you don’t need a CAMRA membership to drink here. There’s a compact menu, mostly featuring decent quality burgers, kids are welcome and, on an extremely busy Thursday evening, service is slick. Oh, and bring the dog for a bowl of water and a biscuit. What more could you want from a city centre boozer?
- High point: Knowledgeable, friendly service
- Low point: Wine list not quite as imaginative as the beer list
- Notable dish: Burger and a beer
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/old-town/red-squirrel?day=today&rpos=1&time=ASAP
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background music
- Live entertainment: Regular events such as meet the brewers, tasting events and tap takeovers.
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow for cheap eating in January9 Jan 2012
Dining out options that won't break the bank
EDINBURGH The Mosque Kitchen Now relocated from its former al fresco spot outside Edinburgh’s mosque, the café-style Mosque Kitchen still serves a fine range of halal meat and vegetable curries in no-fuss polystyrene dishes for under £5 including…
Red Squirrel takes perfected beer ‘n’ burgers formula to west Edinburgh28 Jun 2011
Owners of Holyrood 9a open new premises on Lothian Road
Red Squirrel 21 Lothian Road, West End, Edinburgh, EH1 2DJ 0131 229 9933, redsquirreledinburgh.co.uk Daiy 10am–late; food is served until 9pm. Ave. price two-course meal: £10 (lunch/dinner) What many folk discovered and liked about Old Town bar…