Cushion & Cake
This restaurant has ceased trading.
There’s something very appealing about places that don’t try to follow trends or mimic their competition, which makes Cushion and Cake a refreshing alternative to the hordes of dimly lit hipster hotspots dotted all over the West End. With its pastel décor, vintage crockery, and welcoming staff, the experience of entering the café, set on a quiet street close to Kelvingrove Art Gallery, is more akin to that of arriving at the world’s best tea party. Classic sandwich combinations like salmon and cream cheese, and chicken and pesto, come served on deliciously soft bread from a local artisan baker, and taste even better when accompanied by one of the numerous loose leaf teas available. With always at least one gluten-free cake option on offer, thankfully no one has to miss out on the exquisite sponge.
- High point: Chatty, friendly staff
- Low point: No cutlery with sandwich and side salad
- Notable dish: Sponge cakes
- Private dining: 18 (across the street)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: BBC Radio 6
- Live entertainment: Tea Dance at the West End Festival, crafts from local designers displayed and sold in cafe Crafternoons last Sunday of every month
- Capacity: 16 (2 outdoors)
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: Free corkage