- Telephone 0131 225 7224
- Seasonal times Festival: food served until 10.30pm; bar open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Friday noon–4pm set lunch
- Website www.whiskirooms.co.uk
Inviting, cosy place to try classic Scottish dishes paired with whisky.
Perched high on the Mound, just minutes from the castle, the Whiski Rooms invites you in with twinkling lights and a warm glow. As the name suggests, whisky is a large part of the deal here, with a separate bar area to sample one of the hundreds of malts available. There are regular whisky tasting events and most dishes, including the desserts, come with a whisky pairing suggestion. Dining is informal, focusing on Scottish traditional food with a few twists, such as adding lobster to macaroni cheese; basically it's the type of food you might find in a gastro pub. Haggis comes in spring rolls as well as with the traditional neeps and tatties, a popular choice for tourists curious about the national dish. There’s a decent selection of steaks too, sourced from farms in the Scottish Borders, competently chargrilled and served with chips. Or try the Whiski burger, a juicy, smoky meat feast, full of flavour, though the plate could do with a side salad. Desserts are comforting and homely such as sticky toffee pudding or a cranachan rich with whisky.
- Private dining: Ardbeg Ambassador Room - 8 for dinner, 12 for drinks
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop music
- Capacity: 78
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £22.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
An Introduction to Whisky Tasting
Drop in and learn all about nosing, tasting and what not with this informal introduction to whisky.
Fri 24 May
£25 / 01312257224
Sun 26 May
£25 / 01312257224
Whisky and Cheese Tasting
Whisky and cheese – if you've never tried them together, consider the possibilities of a peaty single malt meeting a briny barrel-aged feta. Try out different combinations in this tasting session as four single malt whiskies are paired with four different cheeses sourced from a local cheese monger. The fully hosted…