- Telephone 0131 225 7224
- Seasonal times Festival: food served until 10.30pm; bar open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.whiskirooms.co.uk
Warm, sociable surroundings in which to sample traditional Scottish food and a wee nip.
The Whiski Rooms is owned by one of Scotland's most iconic whiskies, Ardbeg, in turn owned by one of the world’s leading luxury goods conglomerates, LVMH. So it’s a testament to the management that it’s a place that feels neither sleekly corporate, nor opportunistically touristy. There’s a friendly, pubby energy about it, somewhere to drink, chat and enjoy hearty food. Whisky of course plays a central role (and not just the LVMH brands) with several suggested on the menu to match the food, like a delicious combination of Skye’s smoky Talisker 10 alongside a steak and Innis & Gunn pie. The cooking inches its way between good pub grub and fancier food, so the aforementioned pie (a rustic top crust-only number) might share a table with a rare venison loin, presented in a somewhat fantoosh fashion under a translucent cloche of smoke. There’s a slightly hokey Scottishness to some of the menu; Cullen skink, haggis, smoked salmon, and cranachan are all a bit obvious, but it doesn’t stop them being reliably delicious, and, most importantly, excellent with a dram.
- High point: It’s a lively, unstuffy spot with an exciting range of whiskies
- Low point: It’s a shame the same can’t be said for the range of beers
- Notable dish: Venison loin with beetroot, mushrooms and compressed blackberry
- Private dining: Ardbeg Ambassador Room - 8 for dinner, 12 for drinks
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 78
- Largest group: 81
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Introduction to Whisky Tasting
Learn the flavour profiles of Scotland's four main whisky regions, and explore how the landscape has influenced the flavour of our national drink.
Sun 23 Jul
£22.50 / 0131 225 1532
Mon 24 Jul
£22.50 / 0131 225 1532
Whisky and Chocolate Tasting
Whiskies are paired with chocolates for an indulgent tasting of delicious flavour combinations.
Sat 22 Jul
£25 / 0131 225 1532