- Telephone 0131 225 7224
- Seasonal times Festival: food served until 10.30pm; bar open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Friday noon–4pm set lunch
- Website www.whiskirooms.co.uk
Established Scottish restaurant that enjoys outstanding views and serves consistently good local food plus a wide choice of whiskies.
Perched high on the Mound, just minutes from the castle, the Whiski Rooms invites you in with twinkling lights and a warm glow. As the name suggests, whisky is a large part of the deal here, with a separate bar area to sample one of the hundreds of malts available. There are regular whisky tasting events and most dishes, including the desserts, come with a whisky pairing suggestion. Dining is informal, focusing on Scottish traditional food with a few twists, such as adding lobster to macaroni cheese; basically it's the type of food you might find in a gastro pub. Haggis comes in spring rolls as well as with the traditional neeps and tatties, a popular choice for tourists curious about the national dish. There’s a decent selection of steaks too, sourced from farms in the Scottish Borders, competently chargrilled and served with chips. Or try the Whiski burger, a juicy, smoky meat feast, full of flavour, though the plate could do with a side salad. Desserts are comforting and homely such as sticky toffee pudding or a cranachan rich with whisky.
- Private dining: Ardbeg Ambassador Room - 8 for dinner, 12 for drinks
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Instrumental
- Capacity: 78
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £22.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Whisky and Cheese Tasting
Whisky and cheese – if you've never tried them together, consider the possibilities of a peaty single malt meeting a briny barrel-aged feta. Try out different combinations in this tasting session as four single malt whiskies are paired with four different cheeses sourced from a local cheese monger. The fully hosted…
Sat 24 Oct
Sat 31 Oct
Sat 7 Nov
Whisky and Chocolate Tasting
Whiskies are paired with chocolates for an indulgent tasting of delicious flavour combinations.