- Telephone 0131 333 6335
- Bar open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–4.30pm
- Average price £5.60 (set lunch)
- Website www.eica-ratho.com
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
With a great panoramic view of the enclosed quarry used as EICA’s climbing space, plus a soft play area and Council-run gym on site, the EICA Café (run by Heritage Portfolio, who operate various gallery cafés in Edinburgh) is a popular choice for both sporty types and day-tripping families. It appeals to both with a good quality range of hearty pies and homemade soups, as well as a pleasingly diverse range of substantial salads. Traybakes and decent coffee are afters for adults while kids’ lunchboxes are handy for small appetites, and the café proudly talks up its gluten-free options as well as the fresh, cooked-on-site nature of the food.
- High point: A great destination for sporty families
- Low point: The food service is limited outside lunches
- Private dining: Up to 200 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle