Bennets of Morningside
- Telephone 0131 447 1903
- Bar open Sun–Tue 9.30am–midnight; Wed–Sat 9.30am–1am
- Food served Mon–Fri 9.30am–3pm; Sat/Sun 9.30am–5pm
- Average price £9 (lunch)
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Not to be confused with the establishment of the same name located on Leven Street, this Bennets Bar is to be found on Maxwell Street in Morningside. With the same owners as The Cumberland Bar, Bennets is another very traditional pub specialising in cask ales. Changing guest ales might tempt you to try delights from the Black Isle Brewery, Orkney Brewery, Stewarts of Edinburgh and other microbreweries, while a selection of malt whiskies may see you opting for something shorter than a pint. They also serve tea, coffee, scones and bacon rolls in the mornings and pub grub later in the day – if you find yourself hankering for scampi and chips this is the place to find it. For a spot of fresh air, the patio area out front provides outdoor seating in fair weather.
- High point: Excellent range of cask ales and guest ales
- Low point: Simple menu
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle