- Telephone 0131 556 4648
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1pm. Bar food: Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 12.30–2.30pm, 6–9pm.
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £19.95 (set evening meal)
- Website www.oldwaverley.co.uk
On the corner of Princes Street and South St David Street, across from the Scott Monument, a window table in the Old Waverley Hotel’s first floor dining-room is a great vantage point for watching the world go by. And the world comes to your plate. Take, for example, the warm salad of red mullet with sweet chilli and coconut cream sauce. Smoked duck is moist and sweet with honey and balsamic syrup and comes with lambs lettuce. Both starters are attractively presented on over-sized plates. The pan-fried venison haunch could be more tender, but is accompanied by a really garlicky mash. A row of potatoes separates a substantial fillet of red snapper from green beans and broccoli – the flesh is firm but flaky. Desserts tend towards the self-indulgent and include a deep and gooey chocolate praline torte. For those seeking something lighter, the cheese plate is well-presented and provides a choice of biscuits as well as a generous helping of chutney.
- High point: Somewhere you can take Mum and Dad
- Low point: Service verging on the over-eager.
- No. overnight rooms: 85
- Provides: Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Trad jazz
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 1848
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle