The Little Café
- Telephone 0141 337 2068
- Food served Mon - Wed 9am–6pm; Thu–Fri 9am–9pm, Sat - Sun 10am-9pm
- Average price £5 (set lunch); £8.50 (evening meal)
A traditional Italian cafe with an emphasis on simplicity and authenticity, offering pizzas, salads and ciabattas to sit in or take away.
Nestling opposite Kelvingrove Gallery, the Little Café has been offering its pizza, deli, and coffee wares for around three years but has only recently begun offering a delivery service. From Monday to Saturday you can order up one of their delicious thin-based pizzas, though on Sundays its collection only – offering the chance of a stroll in the park to the café itself to take one home with you. If the bases are good, the toppings are of the same quality, and the café’s deli leanings mean that you can munch on the sumptuous pastrami and rocket combo. If you’re looking for some additional greenery, then their Mediterranean salad is a fresh and tasty treat.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Pizzerias are a ubiquitous sight around Glasgow, yet there are few that rival the authenticity of the cooking at the Little Café. It’s clear from the fact that the bulk of the menu is dedicated to it, that the pizza is the star of the show, with possible varieties ranging from the more traditional margherita or Black Forest with mozzarella, rocket and ham, to Spanish vs Italian options which feature the Spanish chorizo and cherry tomato, all served on a beautifully crisp base. The offer of both a student discount and a two-pizzas-for-£12 deal make the café an affordable option when it comes to ordering a takeaway, but sitting in definitely has its advantages, should you manage to grab a seat, namely the stunning views of Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, with a few outdoor seats to get an even better view.
- High point: Brilliant pizza
- Low point: Hard to resist frequently ordering takeaway
- Notable dish: Mexican chicken ciabatta
- Delivery: Thu–Sun 4–9pm £1.50 G3, G11, G12. Also available through 'Just Eat'
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop/rock classics
- Capacity: 27 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2009
- BYOB: £3 corkage