- Telephone 0131 220 6517
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Seasonal times Open until 3am during the Festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.brewdog.com/bars/…
As well as serving their own experimental beer range, Edinburgh’s BrewDog have sniffed out some of world’s most interesting brews.
Opening their second bar in the big, bad capital back in 2011 was a big step in BrewDog’s beginnings. Now, with over 40 bars worldwide and more in the pipeline, the Auld Reekie branch is doing its best to showcase the expanding range. BrewDog memorabilia is scattered around the room to tempt an ever-growing fan base, but the exposed brick, wood and swanky window-style mirrors demonstrate their tasteful style. Draught beers are listed on retro readograph signs above the bar, beside the list of guest beers, allowing you to weigh up your options. Whether you go for a flagship Punk IPA, an amplified Cocoa Psycho, or Oskar Blues’ Death by Coconut, the self-proclaimed beer geeks behind the bar will select the appropriate glass to optimise taste. Food wise, options are fairly limited, but their handmade, crispy-based pizzas and richly flavoured ale pies are yet another example of their focus on quality over quantity.
- High point: People and their pooches welcome
- Low point: Good beer doesn't come cheap
- Notable dish: Hamish McHaggis Pizza with normal or veggie haggis, red onion and blue cheese.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rock alternative
- Live entertainment: Live acoustic music roughly once a month, occasional Meet the Brewer events
- Capacity: 60 seated (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 6
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16.25 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…