- Telephone 0131 556 7771
- Food served Mon–Sat 5–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7pm, any night the Playhouse is operating
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website www.giulianos.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
There’s something of a Giuliano’s theme to this stretch of Union Place, with the original restaurant, the takeaway next door and this incarnation just a few doors down. Don't be too alarmed by the name: Edinburgh's brisk easterly wind is kept at bay by full-length windows and there's always plenty of warmth from up-beat staff. Regarded as the 'rustic' version of the original Giuliano's, Al Fresco is also the venue more frequently utilised for group bookings. A good value pre-theatre menu plays to the Playhouse crowd, although this can mean that it gets a bit quiet when the doors open over the road. The menu tends towards comfort rather than adventure, with cold and warm antipasti, a dozen pasta options, generous mains of steak, veal, stuffed chicken breast and lamb, plus a line-up of crowd pleasing desserts from gelato to hot chocolate fudge cake. [See also entry for Giuliano's below.]
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Italian pop ballads
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1994
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.80 per bottle