- Telephone 0141 569 6257
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3.30–6.30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (3 assaginni)
- Website www.la-brava.co.uk
Informal and friendly, La Brava's Italian deli-bistro vibe promises a relaxed drink, snack or meal in a quiet, leafy suburban neighbourhood.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There’s a friendly local deli atmosphere in La Brava, as much a place for coffee and cake as a formal meal, eggs and espresso in the morning or a light snack with an Italian craft beer in the afternoon. The menu is assaggini, small plates tapas-style, and the food prepared in the open kitchen or at the deli counter is as comforting and authentic as home cooking. Pick two or three dishes per person from a list split evenly between vegetarian and meat and seafood, while true carnivores can peruse the grill steak section. Arancini rice balls, rice so soft it’s almost creamy with a rich tomato core, can double as a more traditional starter while vitello saltimbocca – tender rose veal topped with crisp pancetta and a sage sauce – can be matched with roast potatoes with salt and rosemary oil, or contrasted, if it’s on special, with lobster ravioli. Finish with one of their own bakes – zuppa italia sees sponge soaked with masala with chocolate, meringue and fresh cream, or a couple of scoops of Equi’s ice-cream.
- High point: Mix-and-match dishes and Italian craft beer
- Low point: Tables a squeeze when busy
- Notable dish: Lobster ravioli
- Delivery: £2
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 35 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £17 per bottle