Unpretentious, no-nonsense Southside tapas restaurant specialising in authentic Spanish cooking, flavours and atmosphere.
Malaga is easy to find, along the busy thoroughfares of St Andrews Road with its cutesy frontage hinting at the stock Iberian colour scheme within – all reds and browns adorned with assorted bric-a-brac, tightly packed tables and heavy wooden chairs. Proprietor Cristobal Gonzalez is light on his feet overseeing a team of adept and chatty staff working the room with the kind of proficiency born of experience. Dishes are delivered when ready, straight from the open kitchen. The menu boasts freshly prepared authentic rustic staples alongside quirkier ingredients humming with lively flavours – highlights include medallions of pork in a syrupy sweet sauce with chunky mushrooms, and pollo al ajillo featuring lightly sautéed chicken slices in a racy roasted garlic oil. Pisto manchego comprises roasted peppers, onions and aubergine in a mild tomato sauce. Deals are good value, too. A hearty set menu for two can be had for £26.95, while the lunch deal is a winner at a mere £6.95.
- High point: Great buzz, great service, great food
- Low point: Tables a bit tightly packed
- Notable dish: pollo al ajillo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish folk and pop
- Live entertainment: Spanish singer once a month
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle