Tempus Bar and Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 240 3700
- Bar open Mon–Sun 5–11pm
- Food served Sun–Thu 5–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 4–9.30pm
- Pre-theatre times 5pm–7.30pm
- Average price £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.hotelgrandcentralglasgow.co.uk
A plush setting in the Grand Central Hotel for a menu utilising Scottish produce to put a modern twist on classic dining.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Nestled inside the sprawling Grand Central Hotel at Glasgow’s main train terminus, the in-house restaurant boasts the plush surroundings that one would expect from such a grandiose venue. Heavy brocade furniture and mood lighting give an intimate feel to the restaurant, while attentive staff ensure the service matches the mood. The menu focuses on using Scottish produce to put a modern twist on classic restaurant favourites. Starters include Hebridean smoked salmon – a generous portion, served with perfectly cooked asparagus and a hollandaise sauce. Ayrshire chicken liver pâté is rich, while its red onion and cranberry chutney adds a satisfying tartness, bringing a balance of sweet and sour to the plate. The Scottish focus continues with mains where succulent Perthshire chicken is accompanied by a haggis fritter and roasted turnip, artfully drizzled with a Drambuie cream sauce, while delicately spiced seafood linguine is positively bursting with locally sourced seafood including scallops, cod and prawns. To finish on a sugar high, the sticky toffee pudding is wonderfully dark and dense with plenty of treacle.
- High point: Relaxed atmosphere and excellent service
- Low point: Long trek to find the bathrooms
- Notable dish: Warm Hebridean smoked salmon with asparagus, poached egg and hollandaise
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 186
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern Jazz
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £19 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage