- Telephone 0141 341 6516
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Website www.bovinerestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Cozy tweed booths hug one side of this Byres Road spot and the well-stocked bar inside, twinkling with fairy lights, adds a touch of glamour. The stylish interior, however, hides something of a split personality. As afternoons run into evenings, local mummies sip white wine while kids nibble on triple-cooked chips. Then, at 8pm, the last of the buggies make way for well-heeled groups drinking expertly mixed, dangerously good cocktails. A pretty predictable bar food menu includes pulled pork and burgers in brioche buns. But there are surprises: the fish-finger roll is actually gurnard goujons in ciabatta, and you can add truffle oil and Parmesan to hand-cut chips for an extra pound. With a menu revamp planned and house DJs signed up to soundtrack weekends, a thoughtful reboot promises to keep regulars happy, while widening its twilight appeal.
- High point: Elegant, easy-drinking cocktails
- Low point: Slow-cooked pulled pork a bit dry
- Notable dish: Spicy buttermilk marinated chicken breast pieces and chipotle mayo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, Jazz and Acoustic.
- Capacity: 150/160
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The List Eating & Drinking Guide Awards for 2013 announced18 Apr 2013
Winners of the annual Best Newcomer Awards in Glasgow and Edinburgh
With the publication of its Eating & Drinking Guide for 2013, The List announced the winners of its annual Best Newcomer Awards. Selected from restaurants opening in Edinburgh and Glasgow since April 2012, the winners are chosen by the guide's…