Tramway Café Bar
- Box office 0845 330 3501
- General enquiries 0141 276 0953
- Seasonal times Opens later when a show is on, bar, hot drinks and cakes only
- Bar open Mon–Sat 9.30am–4.30pm; Sun noon–4pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 9.30am–4pm; Sun noon–3pm. Closed Mon
- Pre-theatre times Summer and some performance nights only (depends on show). Bar and cakes only.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
- Website www.tramway.org/Pages/…
A café and bar housed within a contemporary performing arts space, with views of the adjoining Hidden Gardens community project.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This post-industrial arts space sits on the former site of Coplawhill depot, evidenced by the tram lines that crisscross the gallery floors today. Inside the space, the interplay of new and old is seamless – wooden rafters, steel staircases and exposed brickwork complement the great towering pillars and rusted iron doors that date back to building’s late 19th century heritage. The café sits on the ground floor, with views onto the Hidden Gardens community space outside. Soups, sandwiches and baked potatoes are served all day, with a healthy number of veggie options. Full breakfast, filled rolls and porridge are served before noon, while a larger breakfast menu is served all day on Sunday when the offering includes full breakfasts, salmon and scrambled eggs and French toast. The bar also serves wine, craft beers from Drygate and WEST, and Bloody Marys on the weekend.
- High point: Stunning architectural space
- Low point: Climate means gardens are often a no-go
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Theatre, performance art, storytelling, dance events, visual arts galleries. Boiler room and Hidden Garden events
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 500 corporate, 80 in cafe
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle